Profile Image Client Section Login | Register
Get in Touch
028 9074 7300
Online Payments Make a Payment Repairs Report a Repair Valuation Request A Valuation
Translate Icon

Renting Your Student Property With Property People

  • Viewings
  • Booking a Property
  • Moving In
  • Role of Property People as Property Managers
  • Paying Rent
  • Reporting Repairs
  • Smoking
  • Electricy Supply
  • Ventilation, Condensation and Mould
  • Heating
  • Insuring Your Belongings
  • Telephone and Broadband
  • Bins
  • Post
  • Useful Contacts


To arrange to view a property you can call us on 0289747300, email us on or simply pop in to our South Belfast office situated on 156 Ormeau Road, Belfast. We will accompany you on your viewings and where possible show you a range of properties to suit your requirements. Please ensure that you are sure that everyone in your group has secured their place in College and that all of your group is present on the viewing as due to the high demand on viewings we do not do multiple viewings with a group. It is essential that you are all happy with the property and it’s facilities before paying a deposit.

Back to top

Booking a Property

If all of the group are happy to proceed you will each need the following:

  • A deposit/ holding fee (Usually the equitant of one month’s rent)
  • A Guarantor
  • Photographic ID

Once the holding fee is paid the property is taken off the market and viewings ceased. For this reason if for whatever reasons you withdraw from taking the property you will loose this.

What is a guarantor and why do I need one?

A guarantor is a person who sign’s a guarantee agreement that states that they will pay for any damage, loss of rent or any other monies due to the landlord due to the default of the tenant during the tenancy or any extension of the tenancy. The guarantor ensures that if there is any damage to the property or unpaid rent that the landlord will be paid.

What happens to my deposit?

It’s the law that all deposits are protected by a tenant deposit protection scheme. All of our deposits are registered with TDSNI. We will give you information about the TDSNI, the tenant deposit protection scheme and evidence that your deposit is protected.

Lead tenant

You must nominate one of your group as the lead tenant. The lead tenant will receive communications from TDSNI regarding the return of your deposit and from Property People if we need to arrange access to the property for any reason.

Property condition reports (PCR)

Prior to you moving in all of our properties will be checked over by a member of staff or independent inventory specialist. They will complete a property condition report (PCR) recording the state and condition of the property as it is delivered into your possession. This report will clearly document every aspect of the property and will be used to compare the condition of the property when you leave. We will email you a copy of your PCR for your records.

Back to top

Moving In

Before any keys can be handed out ALL tenants must have their full deposit paid, all documentation submitted and all guarantor agreements signed. Before you move in you all will have signed your tenancy agreement and paid your first months rent in the office. We will set up a standing order to ensure that your rent is paid on time each month. Please ensure that you have read and understand the tenancy agreement before signing it. If you have any questions about your tenancy agreement or your tenancy now is the time to ask. If everything is in order we can then release the keys and you can enjoy your new home.

Back to top


Your rent must be paid by the 1st of each month. Usually this is paid by standing order straight into our account. If you are going to be late with your rent due to unforeseen circumstances please let us know in advance as well as the date you expect to pay. If you do not inform us that you are going to be late or consistently late with rent you be subject to a charge due for increased administration.

Back to top

Paying Rent

If your landlord has appointed Property People to managing your tenancy we will be your point of contact for all issues you may have with the property throughout the term. If you need to pay rent, report a repair issue or complaint you will call us or call into our office to discuss the issue. Property People as managing agents will be in touch to arrange access to the property for essential maintenance or to conduct a viewing of the Property. We may also be in touch to inspect the property as a routine inspection or to assess work requires. If there are any issues you have as a tenant please do not hesitate to call us on 02890747300 or make an appointment if you need to discuss any matters about your tenancy or rented property in person.

Back to top

Reporting Repairs

Where possible all repairs are to be communicated to Property People via the lead tenant of the property. Property People discourage several tenants or tenants parents from reporting repairs as this leads to confusion and inaccuracies in reporting the repair issue. Having one point of contact for reporting repair issues is also effective in streamlining communication between the tenants, the agents and the tradesperson. You can report a repair to or by the repairs section of the website or by calling the office on 02890747300.

How to report a repair

If you have a non emergency repair issue to report during office hours this can be done by the lead tenant of the property getting in touch with Property People via the website, email, telephone or by calling down to the office. When reporting the repair please give as much detail as possible to help us send put the right tradesperson. Please ensure that you have maintained your tenant responsibilities before reporting a repair e.g. Ensure there is adequate credit in gas/ electric meters, ensure there is enough oil in a oil tank and check the filter of a washing machine. If a repairperson is called out unnecessarily you could you will be charge up to £70 for a call out.

Out of hours repairs

If you have a repair issue to report outside of office hours and it is urgent enough that you cannot wait until the next working day please contact us on the out of hours repair line which is 07435780115. Please note that line is for reporting an urgent repair and is not a substitute for contacting the emergency services in the event of any occurrence that is immediately dangerous or requires the intervention of the emergency services. If you require Police, Fire department or Ambulance please contact them immediately and if necessary vacate the property. If the out of hours line is not answered immediately please leave a message on the voice mail or send a text message detailing your contact details, address and nature of the problem and someone will get back to you ASAP.

Back to top

Smoking Policy

All our properties operate a non-smoking policy. Any damage caused by tenants or tenants visitors who smoke in the property, such as damage, repainting or specialist cleaning, maybe deducted from your deposit.

Back to top

Electricity Supply

Property People will register all the tenants names and home addresses with your electricity supplier. The electricity must be paid for by bill pay for all HMO properties of 3 bedroom’s and over.

Back to top

Ventilation, Condensation and Mould

It is a tenant's responsibility to take reasonable steps to deal with condensation and ensure that the property is being heated and ventilated throughout. Condensation will not usually occur in areas that are both well ventilated and warm. In cold weather, people are understandably reluctant to open windows and let heat escape, but some level of effective ventilation must be maintained. Property must also be heated in order to help keep condensation levels at a minimum. Wipe and remove any condensation regularly, especially around windows to avoid a mould build up.

  • Always use extractor fans and open any windows in bathrooms and kitchens whilst carrying out any cooking, washing or drying activities. Leave fans on and windows open until the visible steam has left the air.
  • Always place lids on saucepans during cooking and turn the heat down as required.
  • If you are unable to dry washing outside or in a properly ventilated dryer, choose a room that can be heated and ventilated safely and shut it off from the rest of the home.
  • Never dry clothes over doors or on radiators.
  • Keep furniture away from walls where possible.
  • Keep a small window ajar and any window trickle vents (small vent at the top of the double glazed units) open.
  • Keep any room vents open.
  • Ensure the heating system is set to constant and maintaining heat at 5 degrees over winter, especially if the property is unoccupied.

If unsure how to use the heating system in your property:

  • Read the instructions
  • Search for advice online
Back to top


Oil Fired Central Heating

If your property is Oil fired central heating it is important that you get a substantial fill of oil in your tank. Although this may be a large expense at the start of the year a good way of looking at it is that this should last for several months and you will not have to spend on heating the property for a while. With oil heating it is important not to run out of heating oil as this will cause an oil lock in the system. If this occurs ask the person delivering the oil to bleed the oil boiler. This is a service many oil companies offer free of charge. If we need to send out a heating engineer to bleed the boiler there will be a fee payable by the tenants for the call out. It is also important that emergency oil drums are not used frequently as this practice can put excessive strain on the boilers pump. If this is the cast the tenant will be liable for repairing the boiler.

Gas Fired Central Heating

Gas fired central heating is popular amongst students due to the fact that you can have a pay as you go type meter which allows you to top your gas meter small amounts on a regular basis.

Upon renting property we would ask that if a gas or electric card is provided by previous tenants, that you do not use and contact the relevant companies and register your details with them.

Initially they will ask for a meter number or post code of the property, they will ask for personal details to process your new account, they will also give you details/numbers over the phone to buy electric or gas over the counter then within 7-10 days a new card will be provided.

A guide for your pay as you go meter
Holidays & Winter Heating

If the property will be completely unoccupied for more than 14 days at any one time, you must let us know in writing. This may affect the landlords building and contents insurance, and we may need to take additional steps to secure the property. During winter months (nov-march) your heating should be left on a constant setting, at a minimum of 5 degrees, to avoid burst pipes.

Back to top

Insuring your belongings

It is your landlord’s responsibility to insure the building and his furniture. This insurance does not cover accidental damage of your belongings. We recommend that you take out insurance to cover your own possessions. If you are interested in a quote to insure your belongings let us know.

Back to top

Telephone and Broadband

The property will have a telephone and broadband line in the property however you are responsible for any connection charges and/ or bills. Property People customers and benefit form a preferential rate with Virgin Media to find out more call 01415348715 quoting 37690.

Back to top


What happens if my black bin is lost of stolen?

All tenants will be provided with a black wheelie bin at the start of the tenancy. It is the responsibility of the tenant to ensure that the bin is left out and brought back into the property at the appropriate times therefore if the black bin is lost or stolen it is the tenants responsibility to replace it.

Report a problem with your bin

You can report a:

  • Missed bin collection
  • Lost, stolen or burnt bin
  • Damaged bin
  • Bin spillage
  • Bin wasn't returned to its collection point
Missed bin collection

If you think the council have missed your bin, please call them as soon as possible so they can investigate. If appropriate, they will arrange another collection.

They may not have collected your bin because:

  • It wasn't left out on time. Leave your bin out by 7am and keep it out until 8pm if it hasn't been collected.
  • You've put the wrong materials in your bin.
  • your collection is on a public holiday when collection times change. See holiday bin collections.
  • Your bin was too heavy.
  • It had no lid or the lid was not fully closed.
  • Our bin lorry has broken down.
  • Bad weather stopped us collecting your bin.

To report a missed bin collection phone 028 9027 0230

Lost Bins

If you lose your bin we can check to see if it can be tracked down. 

To report a lost bin phone 028 9027 0230

Stolen or burnt bin

If you think your bin has been stolen, please contact the police. If it has been stolen or burnt as a result of antisocial behaviour, you may be entitled to a new bin free of charge.

You will need a PSNI reference number to order a new bin. Once you get this number, select the burnt or stolen option in the order a new bin online form.

If you need help, please phone 028 9027 0230

Damaged bin

If you think your bin has been damaged by one of the Council lorries, the Council can investigate further.

To report a damaged bin phone 028 9027 0230

If you think your bin has been deliberately damaged or vandalised you should report it to the police. 

If the bin can't be used because of the damage you'll need to order a new bin. You will need a PSNI reference number to order a new bin. Once you get this number, select the burnt or stolen option in the order a bin online form.

Bin Spillage

To report a bin spillage on your street or entry phone 028 9027 0230

Bin wasn't returned to its collection point

If you report that your bin hasn't been returned to its collection point, the council will try and return it to you within one working day.

To report a bin that hasn't been returned to its collection point phone 028 9027 0230

Back to top


Should tenancy end - Re-Direction of Post

We would ask that all tenants use Royal Mail's Re-direction system, as agents/new tenants can not collect nor be held responsible for loss of mail.

This is a tenants responsibility at end of tenancy.

Use the following e-address for re-direction:

Redirect Post >
Back to top

Useful Contacts

  • Property People (North Belfast) 028 907 47300
  • Property People (South Belfast) 02890 240010
  • Property People (Website)
  • Property People (Email)
  • Property People Repairs 07435780115
  • Property People Repairs (Email)
  • NI electricity 08457 455 455
  • Power NI 03457 455 455
  • Phoenix Gas 0845 900 5253
  • Airtricity (Electricity customers) 0345 601 9093
  • Airtricity (Gas customers) 0345 900 5253
  • City council bulky waste 028 902 70230
  • Housing benefit 028 903 17000
  • Advice NI 028 906 45919
  • Housing Rights Service 028 902 45640
  • North Belfast Advice 028 907 46665
  • N.I Water Board 08457 440088
  • Virgin Interactive 01415348715 (quote Scheme No.37690)
Back to top

Keep up-to-date with new property listings and latest news from Property People Belfast

Please check you have entered all details correctly:

Client Testimonials
Property People were very helpful and on the ball when it came to purchasing our first home. The efficiency and attention to detail made the process very simple and stress free. I would highly reco... William McKeown Read more Reviews